Celestite ALSO CALLED CELESTINECalcite Charoite
Celestite is famously found in the Bristol/Yate area of south Gloucestershire, but gem quality is, alas, found no nearer than Madagascar – a long swim from the African mainland.
Celestite (also called Celestine) forms within rocks such as granite which formed at high temperatures. The name refers to the celestial blue of the heavens.
Strontium sulphate: SrSO4.
Very pale to fairly pale blue-grey, transparent and translucent.
Attempts to facet celestite can be problematic and Crystals (UK) is most comfortable selling natural specimens, tumbled pieces, eggs and spheres incorporating natural crystal structures into the finished shape. These have an enduring popularity which is well deserved. Generally the blue-er material commands a higher price as do pieces with large single crystals.
We would like to promote a range of celestite jewellery but this has not yet proved possible, mainly due to cutting challenges and shortage of suitable material.
Famous for its fascinating ecology (e.g., lemurs galore), Madagascar has a number of unique fossils and minerals: orbicular jasper, iridescent ammonites and gem rose quartz join with celestite to form a veritable quartet of specials.
Celestite is apparently found in NW Madagascar but we were not able to verify this on our last visit with buyers ‘encouraged’ to keep away.
We were unable to ascertain the claim that celestite has to be taken by horse from one location to another before starting its slow journey to Antananarivo, the capital. What is certain is that celestite has an extraordinarily ethereal beauty.
- Month stones
- January - Garnet also Ruby
- February - Amethyst also Bloodstone
- March - Aquamarine also Jade
- April - Quartz also Opal
- May - Rose Quartz also Agate
- June - Pearl also Moonstone
- July - Ruby also Carnelian
- August - Peridot also Sardonyx
- September - Iolite also Lapis Lazuli
- October - Opal also Pink Tourmaline
- November - Topaz also Citrine
- December - Turquoise also Tanzanite
- Zodiac Stones
- Capricorn (Dec 22-Jan 19) Amber, Carnelian, Garnet, Onyx, Smoky Quartz, Turquoise
- Aquarius (Jan 20-Feb 18) Aquamarine, Amethyst, Amber, Celestite, Fluorite, Labradorite
- Pisces (Feb 19-Mar 20) Moonstone, Amethyst, Aquamarine, Blue Lace Agate, Fluorite, Turquoise
- Aries (Mar 21-Apr 19) Ruby, Aventurine, Bloodstone, Carnelian, Garnet, Kunzite
- Taurus (Apr 20-May 20) Azurite, Kyanite, Lapis Lazuli, Malachite, Rhodonite, Tigers Eye
- Gemini (May 21-Jun 20) Chrysocolla, Citrine, Serpentine, Tourmalinated and Rutilated Quartz, Tiger's Eye
- Cancer (Jun 21-Jul 22) Moonstone, Pearl, Opal, Ruby, Moss Agate, Amber
- Leo (Jul 23-Aug 22) Tiger's Eye, Ruby, Carnelian, Kunzite, Larimar, Rhodocrosite.
- Virgo (Aug 23-Sep 22) Peridot, Amazonite, Citrine, Garnet, Moonstone, Opal
- Libra (Sep 23-Oct 22) Iolite, Opal, Kunzite, Lapis Lazuli, Moonstone, Peridot
- Scorpio (Oct 23-Nov 21) Topaz, Malachite, Charoite, Garnet, Obsidian
- Sagittarius (Nov 22-Dec 21) Turquoise, Amethyst, Labradorite, Sugilite, Topaz, Garnet
- There are a few stones that are suitable for every Zodiac sign: Moldavite, Tourmaline, Clear Quartz and Herkimer Diamond.