Crystals buys it's blue calcite from Madagascar whilst the green, orange and clear calcite is largely from Mexico.
Calcite is the main component of sedimentary limestone, chalk and metamorphic marble. It is one of the most widely found minerals on the Earth's surface. Most stalactites and stalagmites in caves are largely calcites. Calcite can also form as complex crystals, either on its own or in association with other minerals, e.g in amethyst geodes. The name comes from the latin word for lime - calx. Calcits is sometimes known as Satin Spar of Icelandic Spar.
Calcium Carbonate Ca CO3.
Trigonal with many possible crystal habits. Mohs scale 3. Double refraction is seen in clear crystals - place once over a single line and two lines will be visible.
A huge range - from colourless transparent to transluscent and opaque pale blue, pale olive green, pale peachy orange, pale pink and others. These colours are due to very small amounts of other elements.
Calcite and the 'Greenhouse Effect'
Many sea living organisms (corals, diatoms etc) make their shells from calcite, using carbon dioxide from the air dissolved in the sea water. Seas therefore act as a vital 'sink' for at least some of the carbon dioxide produced by human activity.
Calcite and ammonites
Some ammonite fossils found in limestone, when prepared, reveal their inner structure, show chambers filled with beautiful pale green calcite or semi-filled with beds of tiny calcite crystals.
Our company has always had a strong connection with calcite, with locally sourced Devonshire calcite being sold in our Torquay shop over 25 years ago.
- Month stones
- January - Garnet also Ruby
- February - Amethyst also Bloodstone
- March - Aquamarine also Jade
- April - Quartz also Opal
- May - Rose Quartz also Agate
- June - Pearl also Moonstone
- July - Ruby also Carnelian
- August - Peridot also Sardonyx
- September - Iolite also Lapis Lazuli
- October - Opal also Pink Tourmaline
- November - Topaz also Citrine
- December - Turquoise also Tanzanite
- Zodiac Stones
- Capricorn (Dec 22-Jan 19) Amber, Carnelian, Garnet, Onyx, Smoky Quartz, Turquoise
- Aquarius (Jan 20-Feb 18) Aquamarine, Amethyst, Amber, Celestite, Fluorite, Labradorite
- Pisces (Feb 19-Mar 20) Moonstone, Amethyst, Aquamarine, Blue Lace Agate, Fluorite, Turquoise
- Aries (Mar 21-Apr 19) Ruby, Aventurine, Bloodstone, Carnelian, Garnet, Kunzite
- Taurus (Apr 20-May 20) Azurite, Kyanite, Lapis Lazuli, Malachite, Rhodonite, Tigers Eye
- Gemini (May 21-Jun 20) Chrysocolla, Citrine, Serpentine, Tourmalinated and Rutilated Quartz, Tiger's Eye
- Cancer (Jun 21-Jul 22) Moonstone, Pearl, Opal, Ruby, Moss Agate, Amber
- Leo (Jul 23-Aug 22) Tiger's Eye, Ruby, Carnelian, Kunzite, Larimar, Rhodocrosite.
- Virgo (Aug 23-Sep 22) Peridot, Amazonite, Citrine, Garnet, Moonstone, Opal
- Libra (Sep 23-Oct 22) Iolite, Opal, Kunzite, Lapis Lazuli, Moonstone, Peridot
- Scorpio (Oct 23-Nov 21) Topaz, Malachite, Charoite, Garnet, Obsidian
- Sagittarius (Nov 22-Dec 21) Turquoise, Amethyst, Labradorite, Sugilite, Topaz, Garnet
- There are a few stones that are suitable for every Zodiac sign: Moldavite, Tourmaline, Clear Quartz and Herkimer Diamond.