Moldavite A kind of tektite. Pronounced: 'mold-a-vite'Larimar Obsidian
Found ONLY in the Czech Republic near the Moldau River (hence the name moldavite).
The origins of Moldavite are steeped in mystery and controversy!
Theory 1: It came from outer space, melted as it flew through the Earth’s atmosphere thereby forming its characteristic rough surface texture.
Theory 2: The impact of a large meteorite from outer space hitting the Earth caused surrounding rocks to melt and scatter and form the rough surface as they cooled. (Our favourite!)
Theory 3: Time to research... try Google and enjoy!
Mainly silicon dioxide: SiO2
Amorphous (no distinct crystal structure). A rough surface in natural state with distinctive jagged, scarred texture.
Olive green/greeny brown. Transparent and/or translucent.
There is a fantastic display of Czech moldavite in Prague’s magnificent National Museum. Ray tracked down a specialist museum in Tyn nad Vltavou, which required considerable persistence to gain admission to!
Moldavite jewellery is presently bought from a commune in the Krakov region of Poland. Here there is a permanent ceremony of burning moldavite fragments with the whole community seeking an affinity with moldavite.
They select moldavite pieces for cutting into facet stones or using in a rough form for making into a comprehensive range of gold and silver jewellery.
Recently, moldavite has been promoted in China – we foresee a shortage of raw material and hence price hikes in the near future.
Maybe half of Crystals (UK) staff own a piece of this jewellery (many having an entire collection).
- Month stones
- January - Garnet also Ruby
- February - Amethyst also Bloodstone
- March - Aquamarine also Jade
- April - Quartz also Opal
- May - Rose Quartz also Agate
- June - Pearl also Moonstone
- July - Ruby also Carnelian
- August - Peridot also Sardonyx
- September - Iolite also Lapis Lazuli
- October - Opal also Pink Tourmaline
- November - Topaz also Citrine
- December - Turquoise also Tanzanite
- Zodiac Stones
- Capricorn (Dec 22-Jan 19) Amber, Carnelian, Garnet, Onyx, Smoky Quartz, Turquoise
- Aquarius (Jan 20-Feb 18) Aquamarine, Amethyst, Amber, Celestite, Fluorite, Labradorite
- Pisces (Feb 19-Mar 20) Moonstone, Amethyst, Aquamarine, Blue Lace Agate, Fluorite, Turquoise
- Aries (Mar 21-Apr 19) Ruby, Aventurine, Bloodstone, Carnelian, Garnet, Kunzite
- Taurus (Apr 20-May 20) Azurite, Kyanite, Lapis Lazuli, Malachite, Rhodonite, Tigers Eye
- Gemini (May 21-Jun 20) Chrysocolla, Citrine, Serpentine, Tourmalinated and Rutilated Quartz, Tiger's Eye
- Cancer (Jun 21-Jul 22) Moonstone, Pearl, Opal, Ruby, Moss Agate, Amber
- Leo (Jul 23-Aug 22) Tiger's Eye, Ruby, Carnelian, Kunzite, Larimar, Rhodocrosite.
- Virgo (Aug 23-Sep 22) Peridot, Amazonite, Citrine, Garnet, Moonstone, Opal
- Libra (Sep 23-Oct 22) Iolite, Opal, Kunzite, Lapis Lazuli, Moonstone, Peridot
- Scorpio (Oct 23-Nov 21) Topaz, Malachite, Charoite, Garnet, Obsidian
- Sagittarius (Nov 22-Dec 21) Turquoise, Amethyst, Labradorite, Sugilite, Topaz, Garnet
- There are a few stones that are suitable for every Zodiac sign: Moldavite, Tourmaline, Clear Quartz and Herkimer Diamond.