Selenite A variety of Gypsum, also known as 'Satin Spar'Rose Quartz Topaz
Crystals (UK) sources its selenite from Morocco, Mexico (especially Fishtail selenite) and Brazil.
Selenite forms in sedimentary environments from highly saline water. The name selenite comes from the Greek word for 'moon' due to pieces having a moonlike, pearly lustre.
Hydrated calcium sulphate: Ca SO42H2O. Selenite is a type of gypsum.
Monoclinic. With Mohs scale 2, selenite needs careful handling.
A colourless crystal with forms varying from translucent to transparent. Some pieces show clear fibrous crystals.
In Morocco we buy from a mute mineral specialist who employs several mute people in his workshops. His wife is in charge of communication and is brilliant at sign language. Crystals (UK) manager, Paul Butter, was amazed to see the standard of work being produced in challenging circumstances.
Our special selenite ‘castles’ resulted from Paul asking if the lamp holders being produced could have their holes left filled! We feel it works well.
Selenite spheres often have exceptional and inspiring crosses of inner light.
- Month stones
- January - Garnet also Ruby
- February - Amethyst also Bloodstone
- March - Aquamarine also Jade
- April - Quartz also Opal
- May - Rose Quartz also Agate
- June - Pearl also Moonstone
- July - Ruby also Carnelian
- August - Peridot also Sardonyx
- September - Iolite also Lapis Lazuli
- October - Opal also Pink Tourmaline
- November - Topaz also Citrine
- December - Turquoise also Tanzanite
- Zodiac Stones
- Capricorn (Dec 22-Jan 19) Amber, Carnelian, Garnet, Onyx, Smoky Quartz, Turquoise
- Aquarius (Jan 20-Feb 18) Aquamarine, Amethyst, Amber, Celestite, Fluorite, Labradorite
- Pisces (Feb 19-Mar 20) Moonstone, Amethyst, Aquamarine, Blue Lace Agate, Fluorite, Turquoise
- Aries (Mar 21-Apr 19) Ruby, Aventurine, Bloodstone, Carnelian, Garnet, Kunzite
- Taurus (Apr 20-May 20) Azurite, Kyanite, Lapis Lazuli, Malachite, Rhodonite, Tigers Eye
- Gemini (May 21-Jun 20) Chrysocolla, Citrine, Serpentine, Tourmalinated and Rutilated Quartz, Tiger's Eye
- Cancer (Jun 21-Jul 22) Moonstone, Pearl, Opal, Ruby, Moss Agate, Amber
- Leo (Jul 23-Aug 22) Tiger's Eye, Ruby, Carnelian, Kunzite, Larimar, Rhodocrosite.
- Virgo (Aug 23-Sep 22) Peridot, Amazonite, Citrine, Garnet, Moonstone, Opal
- Libra (Sep 23-Oct 22) Iolite, Opal, Kunzite, Lapis Lazuli, Moonstone, Peridot
- Scorpio (Oct 23-Nov 21) Topaz, Malachite, Charoite, Garnet, Obsidian
- Sagittarius (Nov 22-Dec 21) Turquoise, Amethyst, Labradorite, Sugilite, Topaz, Garnet
- There are a few stones that are suitable for every Zodiac sign: Moldavite, Tourmaline, Clear Quartz and Herkimer Diamond.