Aquamarine A variety of BerylAmmonites Calcite
Crystals (UK) aquamarine comes from many countries including Afghanistan, Pakistan, Central Africa, Brazil and occasionally Russia.
Aquamarine (a variety of Beryl) forms in large-grained igneous rocks and is occasionally found in river gravel deposits. Crystals up to 1m in length have been found. This beautiful stone was used in the ancient Greek and Roman Civilisations from 3rd century BC.
Beryllium aluminium silicate: Be3Al2Si6O18.
Hexagonal. Mohs scale 7.5–8.
The range of greeny blue to pure blue colours are due to tiny amounts of iron impurities. Aquamarine (literally meaning ‘sea water’) can appear either blue or colourless depending on the angle of viewing.
Aquamarine causes passionate discussion amongst our buyers and staff. What colour is best? Are small exquisite samples from the rural former colonial outposts of the Hunza Valley (Himalayas) better than larger, well defined specimens from Zaire or Minas Gerais? Who knows!
Several Crystals (UK) samples appear as book illustrations. A very difficult crystal to purchase, both in rough and cut form, with prices and quality varying enormously. Nevertheless, we enjoy buying aquamarine (even when it makes poor business sense!).
Colour varies from various shades of blue to green. In our view there is no ‘best’ colour or crystal form. Whilst clarity is important, we have enjoyed pieces with unusual inclusions such as black tourmaline.
Crystals (UK) Ltd has a different perception on aquamarine than other world stone dealers and ignores received and conventional wisdom on stone grading, preferring our own joy, delight and understanding of this truly inspirational stone. Rainbows and inclusions all add to the appeal in our opinion! (Aquamarine is one of the author’s top favourites)
View Our Aquamarine Products
- Month stones
- January - Garnet also Ruby
- February - Amethyst also Bloodstone
- March - Aquamarine also Jade
- April - Quartz also Opal
- May - Rose Quartz also Agate
- June - Pearl also Moonstone
- July - Ruby also Carnelian
- August - Peridot also Sardonyx
- September - Iolite also Lapis Lazuli
- October - Opal also Pink Tourmaline
- November - Topaz also Citrine
- December - Turquoise also Tanzanite
- Zodiac Stones
- Capricorn (Dec 22-Jan 19) Amber, Carnelian, Garnet, Onyx, Smoky Quartz, Turquoise
- Aquarius (Jan 20-Feb 18) Aquamarine, Amethyst, Amber, Celestite, Fluorite, Labradorite
- Pisces (Feb 19-Mar 20) Moonstone, Amethyst, Aquamarine, Blue Lace Agate, Fluorite, Turquoise
- Aries (Mar 21-Apr 19) Ruby, Aventurine, Bloodstone, Carnelian, Garnet, Kunzite
- Taurus (Apr 20-May 20) Azurite, Kyanite, Lapis Lazuli, Malachite, Rhodonite, Tigers Eye
- Gemini (May 21-Jun 20) Chrysocolla, Citrine, Serpentine, Tourmalinated and Rutilated Quartz, Tiger's Eye
- Cancer (Jun 21-Jul 22) Moonstone, Pearl, Opal, Ruby, Moss Agate, Amber
- Leo (Jul 23-Aug 22) Tiger's Eye, Ruby, Carnelian, Kunzite, Larimar, Rhodocrosite.
- Virgo (Aug 23-Sep 22) Peridot, Amazonite, Citrine, Garnet, Moonstone, Opal
- Libra (Sep 23-Oct 22) Iolite, Opal, Kunzite, Lapis Lazuli, Moonstone, Peridot
- Scorpio (Oct 23-Nov 21) Topaz, Malachite, Charoite, Garnet, Obsidian
- Sagittarius (Nov 22-Dec 21) Turquoise, Amethyst, Labradorite, Sugilite, Topaz, Garnet
- There are a few stones that are suitable for every Zodiac sign: Moldavite, Tourmaline, Clear Quartz and Herkimer Diamond.